Saturday, January 14, 2006

Saturday in the Kitchen & WDB #17

Today I felt like baking. Over at Cookie Madness, there are a plethora of tried and true cookie recipes, complete with pictures. I chose the Travis House Cookies. These are made with an egg-white base, brown sugar, and pecans. I am trying to 'clean out' my pantry and freezer, so I also added 1/4 cup of mini-chocolate chips.

These were very sweet--I think next time I'd omit to chocolate chips because they are plenty sweet as is. They are chewy in the middle and crispy on the outside. This cookie is definitely a repeater.


Dinner was a salad. Mixed greens, toasted pecans, red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, avocado slices, bosc pear, and a piece of crumbled bacon all topped by a Gorgonzola vinaigrette that I whipped together loosely based on this recipe from Bobby Flay. It was very tasty and I am stuffed.
For the vinaigrette, I only used about 1/4 t. of bacon drippings, heated the white wine vinegar in the pan I cooked the bacon in, added olive oil, garlic, oregano, S&P, and heated. I then whisked in Gorgonzola cheese. This was very good--the Gorgonzola didn't overpower but complimented the flavors of the vegetables nicely.



For this weekend's Dog Blog, here's a flashback to my pups' younger days. Check out Sweetnicks Sunday night for all of the other cute pups out in blog land.

This is Harley at about 10 weeks. Look at those feet! We knew he was destined to be a big boy, but we had no idea...


And here's Peanut at about 8 weeks. She was still tiny, but had grown some from the 7 lbs. she was when I brought her home.


Togetherness. Actually, Peanut was lucky in her younger days that Harley didn't bite her head off. He could've on many occasions--I even have a picture where they are playing and her head is in his mouth!
Found it!

3 comments:

Lula said...

Wow! Nice new blog format! I thought I had clicked on the wrong link for second. The salad looks yummy. I have been eating more raw veggies lately while trying to get healthy and lose weight. Right now I am hooked on red bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber and cherry tomatoes dipped in ff ranch dressing. It's yummy and keeps me away from the chips and cookies!! Let's just say that my body is a mean gas making machine right now. haha

Jennifer said...

Good luck on WW! Buy some Beano! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I made the Travis House Cookies -- but I made them with brown sugar Splenda and added some pure vanilla extract -- I am low carbing it and these fit in great! Thanks for the recipe link!

Michelle