Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Dinner: Creamy Pea Soup

I went out on a limb and tried something new to me tonight. I ate peas as a child, but as an adult have come to associate them with cafeteria style buffet lines. Don't know where I get that from, but I do. So, when I saw this recipe on The Savory Notebook, I decided to give it a shot. I had to make a few subs--the grocery store did not have shallots or Boston Lettuce. I used sweet onion and bought a pre-mixed salad bag and picked out the Boston Lettuce. I also added the juice of half a lemon.

While this was OK, it was not a flavor combination I was crazy about. It was too sweet (duh! It's made with sweet peas!). However, it was a good easy weeknight fix. I didn't want anything that left me feeling miserable. I have leftovers, so will repeat this tomorrow.

This does remind me of a creamy asparagus soup I haven't made in a few years. Hmmm..need to pull that recipe out. It was a winner, except for that funny thing asparagus does to your . . . well, you know.

3 comments:

Little Mama said...

Sorry the recipe wasn't what you were looking for. Speaking of asparagus. It is Funkbobito's favorite veggie for the exact reason you just brought up :D.

Happy New Year. Can't wait to see what you've got cooking this year.

Jeff in NC said...

I'm not a big pea fan, but this looks tempting. Really pretty picture :)

Alysha said...

It's always good to cook outside the box, even if you don't end up being crazy about it. :) I wasn't sure what I or especially the guys would think, but we did like it. However, when I had it as a leftover, I found it very filling. It was then that I thought perhaps it was too heavy on the peas (sounds kind of silly, but true) - I might try cutting them back next time. Of course that would make it less veggie-friendly.....