Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Is it Friday yet?

So, I think the food part of my blog will have to be put on hold once again. Right now, work is so crazy and I'm usually so exhausted that cooking (or eating) is not much of a priority.
I got to work at 7:30 and left at 7:15. I had to run some errands (one for work) and it was almost 9 when I got home.
Now, I need to go take a shower, wash my hair of the baby food that got in it from a flying spoon today (at least it wasn't the spinach), and crash.

One recipe I did try earlier this week was Cranberry Bog Gorp. This is a simple, quick snack mix that has satisfied my sweet tooth the last few nights. Butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and a bit of curry to make it a bit different are melted together, than mixed with dried cranberries, walnuts, and pretzels.
Next time, I may add a dash of cayenne to give it a little kick. The curry gave it a different flavor, but it wasn't strong nor did it give any heat.

Cranberry Bog Gorp

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts and/or slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups pretzel nuggets, lightly salted

1. Preheat oven to 300F. Melt butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup in large pot over medium heat. Stir in cinnamon and curry powder. Add cranberries, nuts, and pretzels, and stir to combine.
2. Spread mixture on greased jelly-roll pan. Bake 15 minutes or until mixture is crunchy and lightly browned.

Makes 20 servings.

1 comment:

Jeff in NC said...

Sounds like a really tasty sweet & salty combo. And boy, do I wish it was Friday too... :)