Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wow

I attended the funeral for this young man today. I didn't know him, but I know his parents. His wife is my 4th cousin (yes, when you are from a small town, you're probably related to half the people from the same town and we do keep track that far down--though I don't actually know her either).

Through my tears, I was continuously wowed as I saw his family firmly stand upon their faith that they'll see their son again, that he is watching down on them, that they would rather celebrate his 26 short years rather than dwell on the years they'll miss his physical presence. His dad spoke, with his mom by his side. His wife knowingly nodded when the pastor talked about how he died doing what he loved to do most--and who wouldn't want their life to end that way? I even saw his wife/widow (at age 26 or so--yet she was smiling) comfort another cousin (this one I know) at the cemetery. She said she was OK as she knew she'd see him again, and that she knew he was with us all even as we spoke. Again, I was just in awe of this family's faith.

The service was a beautiful testimony to his life, and of the family who love him so. I won't get this out of my mind for a while.

That's all for now. I hope to have some more cooking reviews soon. I'm supposed to go to Dallas this weekend, but an ice storm may keep me holed up in my house here. Last time I was supposed to go down there, I was snowed in. The weather isn't being kind to me lately.

No comments: