Friday, January 12, 2007

Ice + Cold = Soup/Chili


The ice storm that was supposed to hit this afternoon actually hit around 8:30 a.m. Brrrr....it was in the 60s last night and now it is in the 20s. Gotta love this Oklahoma weather! We have a 3 day weekend, and once I realized I would be homebound, I decided to stock up on soup fixins. Tonight, I turned to a recipe I made last year, almost a year ago actually. Rachel's Buffalo Chicken Chili with Blue Cheese Toppers really hit the spot on this cold night. If you don't like blue cheese, I don't know that I would try this as think the blue cheese toppers really make the dish. The chili is a spicy and flavorful, slightly tomato-y, thick mixture of chicken and finely chopped vegetables. On it's own, it's OK. Once topped with the toppers, a whole new depth of flavor is added. This is actually really easy to make--I don't know why I haven't made it again. I use chicken breasts and chop them in my food processor to ensure I lean soup. I upped the amount of hot sauce--I used at least 1/2 cup of a mixture of Frank's hot sauce and Frontera brand Habanero sauce. I like it spicy! :)
I'll probably have this tomorrow and then will freeze the leftovers.
I hope to make some regular chili this weekend for the freezer, a hamburger soup, and maybe I'll do some baking as well.

3 comments:

Lula said...

How are you hanging in there with the weather and all? It's 7o here today and will be again tomorrow and then it will be 46 for the high on Tuesday. I hate this! Stay warm or stay cold! Glad you made this recipe. I have it and was wanting to try it but was afraid it might be 'too much'. Think I will give it a shot now.

Jennifer said...

I've been a sloth--PJs all day and NOT going outside! My driveway is sloped so if I left, I likely wouldn't get back into my garage.
It was in the 60s Thursday evening.
I'm more annoyed that my 2nd planned trip to Dallas was cancelled. I haven't had a haircut since my LoL cut on October 6 and it's a bit crazy!

Jennifer said...

BTW, RE: the recipe-I like more hot sauce than it calls for, for that extra 'kick'. Just taste as you go. And don't judge until you top it with the blue cheese toppers--they really make it.