Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lots of cooking going on!

I feel like I've spent more time in the kitchen lately than I have in weeks!
Today was our 3rd and final Feast Day at school. My group chose to do a Taco Bar, and I signed up to do taco meat. Now, I like my taco meat dry, not saucy. I add cayenne, onions, and lots of cumin. If it's just for me, I add a can of drained/rinsed black beans to the meat. Yum.
Well, as most people like a saucier beef, I went on a quest to find a taco meat recipe. I chose this one from Cooks Illustrated. I cooked a little over 5 lbs. of meat. I also added a little extra chili powder and a lot of cumin.
As far as saucy meat goes, this was OK. It was spicy, which is how I like it, but I can do without soggy taco shells, so in the future I'll continue to make my taco meat more on the dry side!


Tomorrow is my turn to bring snacks for our pod. Fortunately, I have my TAs to help, so I'm only taking a couple things. I've made 10 lbs. of Mixed Nut Spiced Toffee the past few nights. I'm taking some with me to work. The rest has either taken to Bunko night, put in gift packages, or gone to my neighbor. Oh, and I've also eaten some. My other item for the pod is the Caramel Frosted Chocolate Chip Zucchini Sheet Cake. This is a recipe I made several times last year and then forgot about it. It is so moist, so flavorful, and actually pretty easy to do! There is a huge thread over at the CL boards on it if you want to read more. This is the type of recipe I'll keep going back to. I can't wait to breakfast to dig in!

No comments: