Saturday, November 25, 2006

Something that really pi$$es me off

I saw a graphic on a myspace comment that said "Let's get retarded this weekend" and included a picture of what I presume to be a Special Olympian running to the finish line.

I abhor the use of the word 'retarded' in everyday conversation, but to poke fun in such a careless, callous way as this graphic portrayed? To associate getting drunk, wasted, trashed, whatever--things a person has control over to being 'retarded', something children and adults don't have any choice or control over? To me that is just cold-hearted, narrow-minded, and thoughtless. It really made my blood boil.

Now to any of you reading this. Next time you go to say "Oh, that's so retarded" or some other similarly used phrase, think about what you are saying. Think about the people out there who truly are mentally retarded; what you say is offensive to them, their families, AND to those of us who know, love, and appreciate these people for who they are.

No comments: