Sunday, November 19, 2006

Holidays are coming!

A girl friend came over today and we got busy doing some holiday candy making.
Clockwise from top--
Cocoa Tassies with Peppermint Creme Filling--with a better picture at Culinary in the Dessert, Chocolate Chai Spice Snickerdoodles, Mixed Nut Spiced Toffee, and Creamy Fudge.
Mixed Nut Spiced Toffee, with recipes for both at the bottom of this entry.



I wanted to try the mint tassies to compare them to the Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies I made last year. I like the sandwich cookies better. This are good, but a little too gooey. Joe's (from the blog linked to above) looked much better. If I had a piping bag, I don't think they would have held their shape. Good and nice presentation, but not one I'll repeat.

The Chai Spice cookies are yum! I made them bigger this time--thus the irregular shape as the spread out and ran into each other on the cookie sheet. Maybe that was because they were the last thing we made and we were ready to be done!

The toffee and fudge are old standbys. It wouldn't be the holidays without them!

There was one more item I attempted to make--they are called Gold Nugget Bars. I cooked the 'cake' part for 5 minutes longer than it called for and it was looking as if it was done. Turns out it wasn't and when I went to get it out of the pan, it fell apart. I'm going to try them again this week. It involves a light yellowish bar being rolled in a powdered sugar/milk glaze, and then rolled in peanuts. You then drizzle it with melted chocolate and peanut butter chips. I also hope to make some gingerbread cookies for the freezer soon.

Until next time...

No comments: