Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mounds Cake

We had a potluck at work today, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to use my coworkers as guinea pigs for a new recipe. I found this recipe in Penzey's ONE magazine. It made me realize that I don't often make cakes completely from scratch. I usually do a doctored cake mix (such as Midori Cake--using the melon liquior). Anyhow, I digress.

This was made with a rich chocolate base. The batter was light and fluffy and somewhat thick.

While that is baking, you make the coconut filling of marshmallows, milk, sugar, and a bag of coconut. You cook until the marshmallows are melted. THis is poured over the warm cake.

Finally, the frosting is simply more butter, sugar, milk, and a bag of chocolate chips.

It really did taste like a Mounds! It got good reviews at school, though there was a small bit left. It calls for 9x13, but all I had was an 11x7. I would like it better in a 9x13, as it was a bit too deep for my tastes, but otherwise this recipe is a keeper.

I got a picture of the last pieces--so you can see the yummy coconut layer. I'll try and post later. I'll also be back to post the recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

PatL said...

Hi, Jennifer, just letting you know that here's one reader hoping you'll post this recipe and picture soon. The Huz **loves** chocolate and coconut; to combine them is just barely this side of heaven for him. Thanks!

P.S. I so agree about "retarded".

Erika W. said...

I'm glad to know this recipe is a success. I saw it flipping through ONE today, and I couldn't decide if it would be worth trying.