Thursday, November 02, 2006

School Days...and a picture

Here is our chili cook-off picture. Woohoo! 1st place won $100 and 2nd was $75. We are both donating the money back to Santa's Workshop in memory of a long time friend of dad's who recently passed away.




I just finished spending $1,500 last night. It was more difficult than I imagined it would be! I got to buy things for my classroom, courtesy of the district. My classroom is HUGE and there is a ton of stuff in there, but it's mostly a potpourri of hand me downs (so it seems). Some is not appropriate for 3-5 year olds. Some is not appropriate because it's so old and worn out! So, I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits of this little spending spree. From what I hear, the opportunity won't likely happen again in my time!

That being said, I've been thinking a lot about the discrepancy in the school district I am in vs. the one I came from. It's actually more of a state to state thing, though I was in a 'tax rich' district in Texas (Plano). I'm in an old building. I just had original pipes replaced in my room today-lots and lots of rust. Our school is about 40 years old? I don't think it's ever been updated. My former school is 26 is was updated around year 24 and feels brand new. It took me 9 weeks to get a ballast replaced (hence, part of my room was dark) at my new school. My student computers are still running on Windows 95. Granted, I did have some old Macs at my former school, but they had some great software for the level of students I teach. My room smells like funk most of the time. It's just sad. Then I think further back to my days in the banking world. We had art (photography) in our bank that had about a quarter million dollar price tag. It was beautiful to look at, but I think of what that $$ could do for a school! Wow.

OK, so it's not all that bad. We have a wonderful and active PTA who are very supportive. Our principal takes the time to listen and is a strong leader. We have some very caring, giving staff. We even have OU athletes give time out of their already busy days to come volunteer with our students. Of course, the most important reason I am there is for the kids. I'm up to 14 now. Some still try my every day. Some have families that don't hear enough positive about their kids. Some amaze me with the little glimpses they show me every now and then. And all of them now have a little piece of my heart. Poor district or not, high paying job or not, I'm right where I need to be.

Now, does anyone have a working computer they'd like to donate? Need a tax deduction? Have some old dolls that you want to get rid of? Old dress up clothes? I know where you can send them!

No comments: