Thursday, September 04, 2008

Maybe I'll try this again

So many thoughts, so little time. I've had a lot on my mind lately. I really want to try getting them down again, so we'll see if I make the time.

In my latest news, I won't be a classroom teacher much longer. Life is a changing. As soon as a replacement is found-you know that will be hard because hello, it's me, J/K, I will be moving on to the state department of education as a Special Education Coordinator. I'm excited about the opportunity, anxious, and sad. I love my kids this year--they are so much of why I came to this profession. Some of them are the age my nephew Dakota would be if he were alive. He would be 11 on Sept 11. It's hard to believe the time that has FLOWN by. Anyhow. My kids. Precious. Sweet. Lovable. Goofy. Entertaining. Where do I start? I have so many funny little stories that I need to get down so I don't forget them. They just really make me laugh and it does my heart good.

After last year--yeah, I didn't blog did I? That was a part of my quest to try and be positive as possible to make life a bit more bearable. It worked, because I am here and sane today. Anyhow, after last year--which I would describe as my worst year teaching and the only time I've ever questioned the decision to switch careers--the year is such a breath of fresh air. And now I will be leaving MY KIDS. Sigh. My reasoning? Financial. I think I am too old to do the 2 jobs thing, at least if my 2nd job was bartending like I had thought about earlier this year. I can't imagine the toll that would take on me, mentally and physically. Yes, I did it when I was in my early 20s, but I was in my early 20s! And it was rough then. Nothing like ending your dad with a liter of beer, a melatonin, and then 6 hours of sleep and 2 jobs and college classes. Yeah, I couldn't do it again. So anyhow, it's about money. I had decided that this would be my last year teaching in Oklahoma; I was either going to have to move back to TX (Yuck) or go back to the corporate world (Yuck). This job enables me to stay in OK (making what I would be making in TX as a teacher but 12 months vs. 10 months a year) but continue to work in the field of special education, which is truly where my heart lies. I won't be working with kids, but I will be working FOR kids, so I think I can live with that.

My anxiety lies with the things I've heard about how political things can be there. Really though, there are politics in any work place. Politics, cliques, favortism, etc. It's a part of life. I can handle that as that's nothing new to me. My philosophy is to just go in, do my job the best that I can, be nice/cordial, and let things play out as they will.

That's all I have in me now. I'll see if I can continue this and actually blog about entertaining stuff!

No comments: