Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cool Weather + the blahs==Chicken Soup

But not just any chicken soup. I was blog surfing this morning from the couch (where I've been most of the weekend) and came across this recipe from Joe's blog. It called out to me. Granted, I had to switch some things up due to what I had in the freezer, as I'm not going to the store today.
Here is what I ended up doing.

Chicken and Ham Wild Rice Soup (Adapted from Joe's adaptation from Land O'Lakes)

3 tablespoons butter
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 cup 1/2" sliced celery
1/4 cup diced onion (I used red onions--all I had)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup sherry
4 cups cooked wild rice (Mine was mixed with some brown rice)
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup 1/2" cubed cooked ham
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, tossed with 1 T. flour
salt and fresh ground black pepper

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat - add carrots, celery and onion. Cook until softened, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in flour - cook 1 minute, stirring. Whisk in broth and sherry. Stir in rice, chicken and ham - season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in cheese, cook another few minutes until cheese it melted into soup.
Serve with crusty french bread.

Makes about 6 to 8 servings
************************************************************************
This was good! Very filling, not too cheesy or heavy, and I'd imagine fairly healthy. The ham I had was already sliced--so it was too thin for my tastes. I might consider omitting it next time, and there will be a next time. I love the richness the sherry added. I've made wild rice & cheese soups that use beer, but I think I might like this combination a bit better.

1 comment:

Lula said...

I am so excited that it's getting to be soup weather. I am going to try this one this weekend. Will let you know how it turns out. I also have the ingredients for the Roasted Corn and Poblano Soup. YUM!!!!!