Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Beer Can Chicken

So the other night, I had a chicken I wanted to roast. It was too hot to do it in the house. I decided to try my hand at beer can chicken, though I used a Diet DP can filled half full with beer and spices. I rubbed the chicken with Penzey's Bicentennial Rub, minced garlic, and shoved half an onion in it's cavity. I also rubbed it with some olive oil. I cooked it on indirect heat (gas grill) for about 1 1/2 hours. I turned it 180 degrees once. I think this was by far the best 'roast' chicken I have ever made! I can't wait to do another....

So I had leftovers. Tonight I decided to make chicken enchiladas. I used the leftover chicken, a can of green chilies, some onion, jalapeno, chipotle powder, and shredded colby/jack cheese. I rolled them in flour tortillas, nested them in my big cast iron skillet, and put them on the grill-indirect heat. Meanwhile, I cooked some brown rice with green chilies, some black beans with salsa mixed in, and sour cream sauce. For the sauce, I used a carton of low fat sour cream, 1 cup of chicken broth, cumin, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. I heated it slowly, stirring with a whisk. I mixed some flour and water and added to thicken it up. Once it was the right consistency, I poured it over the enchiladas, topped with more cheese, and left until the cheese was melty.

I served it all with sliced avocados and salsa. Yum!

Both are sure to become staples in the coming months!

No comments: