Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Parents

Today was frustrating. A few days after being told (nicely) by an administrator that I have been too nice to one student-giving him too many chances, in a sense-enabling him (I agreed), I was told by parents that I have just beaten him down and he's lost and it's all my fault. Those of you who know me know it's hard for me to be 'mean', even if I want to. I guess by setting high expectations and providing natural consequences (you don't do your work-you get a bad grade), I have beaten him down.
Just what good are the parents doing when they use intimidation to try and get their son's teachers to give him a passing grade when he hasn't done a flippin thing to earn it?

OK, vent over.

Two of my students are going sno-skiing with a camp for children with special needs. I'm so excited for them! They will not be back in school until Tuesday. We've been talking about skiing all week--they know the words and the motions, but I wonder if they really know what they are headed for. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had a frustrating experience with the parents but good for you for pushing the child.

How awesome about the skiing, where are they headed?

Lula said...

I have known you for over 25 years and in all that time I have rarely (I mean rarely) seen you mad or mean. When you were upset it was usually comical. :) Don't let it get to you. I know it's tough but that's par for the course in teaching. You won't be able to please everyone. You are doing a great job and your heart is in the right place. Just smile, say the right things but in your mind give them the bird and tell them to kiss your ass. :))) HUGS!

Jennifer said...

Robyn, they are headed for Winter Park. The National Sports Center for the Disabled is there and fits them (there are 15 young adults going) with adaptive ski equipment. ONe of my students will be in a ski chair. I can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks Lula. I've told them much more than kiss my arse in my mind. :)