Saturday, August 06, 2005

Back to School!

In less than 48 hours, I begin my 2nd year of my 2nd career as a Special Education teacher to middle school students. I suppose my next few entries will be education related (hopefully with some food stuff thrown in-I have to eat).

For tonight, here are some quotes related to teachers and education. Feel free to add any you know to the comments section.

"Awaken people's curiosity. It is enough to open minds, do not overload them. Put there just a spark." - Anatole France

"A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary." - Thomas Carruthers

" A teacher who is attempting to teach, without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn, is hammering on a cold iron." - Horace Mann (1796-1859)

"Education costs money, but then so does ignorance." - Sir Claus Moser

"Education...is a painful, continual and difficult work to be done in kindness, by watching, by warning,... by praise, but above all -- by example." - John Ruskin

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." - Malcolm Forbes

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime." - Chinese Proverb

"Good teaching is more a giving of right questions than a giving of right answers." - Josef Albers

1 comment:

Lula said...

Teachers are people who start things they never see finished, and for which they never get thanks until it is too late.
Max Forman

Education is too important to be left solely to educators.
Francis Keppel