Monday, February 27, 2006

More musings

What makes some people's glass be half full while others are half empty? What kind of person would you rather work with? Gosh, much longer and I'm going to be plum worn out! I work with the most negative person on the face of the earth. I've never seen someone with so little happiness in her life. She starts watching the clock early in the day. She can't wait until 3:30 gets here. She often makes comments about how bad the day was if she got her foot hit by the wheelchair, or if a student is acting up and cussing, or if another student runs into her by accident. She hates getting her hands dirty (slime, play-doh, paint, modeling clay, etc.) It drives me nuts! For the record, when you work in a classroom w/ children with severe disabilities, you are going to get dirty. You are going to get hit. You are going to have to deal with gross things (buggers, bowel movements, snot, etc). If you feel that way, get another job! She is a teacher's aide, so doesn't make much. I'm sure there are other jobs that pay just as badly where she can go and be miserable, and then I wouldn't have to put up with her!

Last week, I hung some motivational posters around the room. My favorite says
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
It's on my door. I read it several times per day.

If one just feels positive a little bit, just a little, everything else wouldn't seem so bad! Shoot, I put all the crazy things we deal with on a daily basis in a positive light just by reminding myself that I'm not her!!!

OK, vent over. Have a nice day. :)

2 comments:

Erika W. said...

Oh, I can't stand people like that. It usually quiets them a little to be overly enthusiastic and optimistic...but that would be really hard to keep up for an entire school day.

And I love that quote by Emerson.

Jennifer said...

Erika, I'm only w/ this person half the day. I do try and be positive and chipper when she is around.
Last week, I was laughing and cutting up while playing catch w/ a student. We were playing catch with a bag of ice (were actually making ice cream in a bag). THe look on her face was sad--so we're getting cold hands and dripping water on us. We were having FUN! She missed out.