Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More Soup

As mentioned last week, I made the Meatball Soup (Sopa de Albóndigas) and wow. Just wow. I can't wait to have this when there it is 30 degrees outside and I am cuddled under a blanket on the couch.


Meatball Soup (Sopa de Albóndigas)
6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (I used 2 1/2)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds (I used ground--it was all I had)
* 4 whole cloves (I used 6)
* 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick, broken
* 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (I used medium grain brown)
* 2 tablespoons grated fresh onion
* 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1 pound ground round (I had ground buffalo--much leaner, but worked out fine)
* 1 large egg white
* 1 garlic clove, minced (I used 4)
* Cooking spray
* 3 cups chopped green cabbage
* 2 cups chopped onion (I only had one small onion, so it was more like 3/4 cup)
* 1 cup sliced carrot
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 1/2 tablespoons drained chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce (I used 2)
* 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I used 4 cups broth)
* 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (such as Muir Glen) (I used a 28 oz can of muir glen diced)
* 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato

Preparation

Cook the coriander seeds and the cumin seeds in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted and fragrant. Place the toasted spices, cloves, and cinnamon in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.

Combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon mixture, rice, grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, beef, egg white, and garlic in a large bowl; set remaining cinnamon mixture aside. Shape beef mixture into 24 (1-inch) meatballs.

Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add cabbage, chopped onion, carrot, and celery to pan; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining cinnamon mixture, chili powder, and chipotle; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Add meatballs; cover and cook 15 minutes. Add potato; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
*****************************************

My notes:
I have learned that I need to up the spice called for in most recipes, hence the additions above. I wouldn't change it!
I had 30 meatballs, and I thought they were generously sized.
It was spicy--my nose ran. I consider that a good thing!
Maybe a bit busy for a weeknight supper, but it made a TON. The recipe said 6 servings. I got 8, and would have had 10 if I had enough freezer bowls, and I felt like they were very hefty servings beacuse it is all so filling!
I did add extra water at the end because it was too thick for my tastes. The flavors still shown through.

This is definitely one I'll add to my regular rotation--though for me, that's maybe 2x a winter as it fills up my freezer!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Sounds great. Can't wait to try it!