Monday, October 02, 2006

Beer and stuff

I am getting reeducated in the antiquated liquor/alcohol laws of Oklahoma. The beer that is sold in grocery stores is 3.2% alcohol. Have you ever tasted foamy water? Yep, that's it. If you want stronger stuff, you go to the liquor store. However, refrigerators are not allowed in liquor stores because that prevents people from going to their car and indulging. Well, I guess people could still indulge, but who wants hot beer? I found out Friday that none of the big 3 (Anheuser-Busch, Coors, and Michelob) sell their higher point beer in Oklahoma. I can get the foamy water, but that's it. I was looking for Amber Bock and was SOL. Good thing I am going to Texas this weekend!

Oh Puleeeeze. I am watching a train wreck. I get 3 channels. So, The Bachelor is on and I'm really embarrassed to be of the same sex of some of these women! They are all gung-ho about meeting 'their prince' as if they are already heads over in heels in love with someone they've never met. Oh wait, it's a guy who is a Prince so of course he's wonderful. I wonder if they put some hard working, down to earth, middle class guy who drinks beer and plays co-ed softball, and is a widowed father on there if they would get the same reaction? Goodness, these women are sooooo shallow. It's a shame. Hmmmm--how would you like your occupation to be 'socialite'? What an ego...born with a silver spoon you suppose? And who needs furs in Houston? Oh wait, I guess socialites do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are we to do when we are there??? Oh boy...I guess we'll be getting into the hard stuff. I hope Harley is doing well...talk to ya soon:)

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Foamy water is a good description for 3.2% beer! Here in Colorado the grocery stores can only sell 3.2 and no wine or liquor and on Sunday you can only buy beer at a grocery store so that means 3.2 which I think is a totally stupid law. It just encourages people to go drink hard liquor at a bar and then have to drive home and it frustrates me when I decide I want to cook something that calls for wine if I don't happen to have any.

Jennifer said...

Shannon-I stocked up on the higher point beer Friday, but at the rate I'm going it'll be gone by the time you all get here. Guinness and Pear Cider tonight. By myself. But it's oh so good. Any preferences for you? I have a red lager, a JuJu Ginger Ale from the Left Handed Brewing Company, Guinness, the cider is GONE but I'll get more. Also have wine...and the hard stuff.

Robyn, I'm right there with ya! At least in Texas I could get wine at the grocery store. Well, some of them. My city was dry--no alcohol at all until last year.

Anonymous said...

I'm cool with whatever...leave some cider for Jackie!! Are you stressed out?

Jennifer said...

I'm getting more cider in TX this weekend. It's cheaper. :)

Yes...stress is thy middle name. I got home @ 7:30 tonight and popped open a beer before changing clothes, unloading groceries, or peeing. :) And I needed to do all 3. Turns out my coworkers are feeling the same. Now back to my beer...and a chocolate chip cookie (I bake when stressed as well).