Thursday, November 13, 2008

Peanut Soup

ETA: A Review is below the recipe.

What is it about soup? Why does it just call my name? Is it because I'm lazy and prefer one pot meals? Is it my ultimate comfort food? Or is it because it's usually economical, freezes well, and is easy (again)?
At any rate, I came across this on the CLBB today and it's on my to try list, though I need coconut milk and cilantro. I think I should make a run to the asian grocery on southside to stock up on coconut milk and some asian condiments.

Peanut Soup, Senegalese-Style
Vegetable Soups, by Deborah Madison

1 to 2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or hot red pepper flakes, to taste
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2/3 cup peanut butter, preferably organic and unsweetened
1 cup coconut milk, or more to taste
Sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Yogurt
Lime wedges

1. Heat the oil in a soup pot, then add the onion, garlic, and cilantro stems. Give a stir, then cook over high heat for a few minutes to warm the onion. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion has softened somewhat, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the cayenne and curry powder.

2. Add 3 cups water and the tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Drop in the peanut butter and simmer until the onions are soft and the peanut butter has dissolved, about 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk. Season the soup with salt.

3. Just before serving, add the chopped cilantro. Serve with a dollop of yogurt in each bowl and a wedge of lime on the side.

________________________________________________________________________________
I finally made this and WOW! Possibly a new favorite? It made 6 generous servings.
The only changes I made were to use Low-Fat Coconut Milk, and only half an onion. I also used more curry powder.
This was a soup that tasted better by the bite. I think it'll be even better left over for lunch tomorrow. I am freezing the rest--this will be perfect on a cold wet day!

No comments: